tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Printing PPI packets

From: Darren Reed <darren.reed () oracle com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 14:45:58 -0700

On  5/05/11 01:42 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
On May 5, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Darren Reed wrote:

In terms of pcap, I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that DLT_PPI should not be used for anything other than
DLT_IEEE802_11.
Sounds good to me.

Why am I not very interested in pcap-ng?
"The pcapng file format specification is still work in progress, see:"

... moving target.
pcap-ng is extensible, so it's *always* going to be a moving target.  However, both Wireshark and libpcap read it, so there
are limits on how much it can move; the spec needs to be clarified to indicate what part isn't going to change and what part
is.

Looking through it, the first observation I'd make is that there should not have been any 16 bit fields. The one that concerns me most is the IDB which has a 16bit link type.

On Solaris, we're using numbers above 0x80000000 to represent a "private" number space for DLPI link types that correspond to internal features. I can see that it being desirable to continue to be able to do that, even if only for the purposes of experimentation. At present, those DLPI numbers typically relate to a more "normal" link type, such as DL_IPV4 (0x80000001) being LINKTYPE_IPV4 but others may not.

Darren

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.