tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: only outbound traffic

From: Andrej van der Zee <andrejvanderzee () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:34:42 +0900

Hi,

Why would an "offset" keyword be better in the filtering language than, say, the "vlan" keyword it already has?
You'd still have to do the same sort of special stuff, but it'd be a more manual operation.  (I.e., why would saying
"offset {length of VLAN tag}" be better than "vlan"?)

Its more explicit too me. It is not really intuitive that "port 80 and vlan" and " vlan and port 80" gives different
results, until you realize that vlan increases the ether type offset.

The ideal would be a filtering language wherein having the filter code in the kernel skip past VLAN tags
automatically was cheap.  Perhaps a language (not a language for users to express filters, but a language into which
to compile the filters the user expresses) that makes it impossible to specify infinite loops, combined with a JIT to
make loops reasonably efficient (there already exist JITs for x86-32 and x86-64 on some platforms, e.g. Windows and
FreeBSD), would be the right way to handle VLANs and IPv6 protocol chains and perhaps even filters at higher protocol
levels.-

If you say so ;)

Arent there any special port mirroring NICS out there that remove those VLAN tags?

Cheers,
Andrej-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.