tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Best OS / Distribution for gigabit capture?

From: Fabian Schneider <schneifa () net in tum de>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 08:43:45 +0100

Hi,

Regarding the OS we have done testing on this some five years ago. Back then we found that FreeBSD performed better
than Linux. Yet there have been improvements proposed for both Linux (memory mapping, and Luca Deri's work) and FreeBSD
("zero-copy BPF and Alexandre Fiveg's work). To get details just google all this.

Yet, experience from operating a large scale packet capturing systems shows that the biggest challenge usually is to
have a disk system that is fast enough to write the stream of packets to disk. You might want to check this first.
(e.g. you can run a Bonnie++ to see how fast your disk system is.)

 Best
Fabian

Sent from iPhone -> might be shorter than usual