tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: HUGE packet-drop

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:44:17 -0800

The best way I found to do this was to have the application that is receiving
the packets running on the same cores that the kernel is pulling them off the
nic.  Since my machine had two chips each with 4-6 cores (8-12 logical
cores), I limited my application to run on the same chip as the nic was
receiving its interrupts.

Interesting - because at least for a time there, before LRO/GRO etc, when it was near impossible to achieve link-rate with full-size frames on 10GbE, I found that in netperf testing I could get higher thoughtput when netserver was bound to a core *other* than the one taking interrupts from the NIC - preferably though one sharing the last level cache. I guess in the case of "plain" networking (with full-sized segments) the number of cache lines ping-ponged from one cache to another is less than the packet capture case.

Rereading the rest though I see you weren't binding the app explicitly to the same core, but simply to the same processor, so perhaps the same thing is happening with your app as with my netserver :)

rick jones

PS - don't forget that some NICs have multiple IRQs... :)
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.