tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New page, giving link-layer header type values

From: Sam Roberts <vieuxtech () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:51:31 -0700

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
       http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html

contains a description of all the existing link-layer header types for which there is either

Not sure why there is two link types for IEEE 802.15.4.

The "no FCS at the end" case doesn't need a link type, if the snaplen
is 2 bytes shorter than the packet should be, then there is no FCS at
the end.

Since every decoder needs to know how to deal with a snaplen less than
the original packet length (don't they?), we've been writing pcaps
from a usbkey that gives us packet captures without FCS, and I just
set the snaplen to what we got, and they decode fine.

Cheers,
Sam
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.