tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Can libcap be used as a packet interceptor?

From: Eloy Paris <peloy () chapus net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:41:59 -0400

Hi Aaron,

On 05/12/2010 01:13 PM, Aaron Turner wrote:

[...]

Look at libdnet.  It has a cross platform API to modify the firewall
rules on various OS's to drop packets.

libdnet's firewall interface is a great idea. Unfortunately, libdnet's support for modern Linux firewall capabilities is non-existent. It seems like libdnet was never updated for iptables, which replaced ipchains in Linux 2.4, and is what is used today.

Because of this, building libdnet in a modern Linux environment will use src/fw-none.c as the implementation of libdnet's firewall API, which basically returns ENOSYS for all API functions :-(

I don't think it would be hard to add support for iptables, but I haven't had a strong-enough need to want to tackle that myself.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-
netexpect.org
-