tcpdump mailing list archives

Raw USB capturing with libpcap 1.1?

From: Chris Maynard <Chris.Maynard () gtech com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 20:04:33 +0000 (UTC)

I was under the impression that libpcap allowed one to capture raw USB traffic
(See http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB).  However, with libpcap 1.1,
this doesn't seem to work as I get an error from pcap_compile() with
pcap_geterr() returning, "USB link-layer type filtering not implemented".
Looking at the libpcap source code in gencode.c:gen_linktype(), it seem would
seem to me that this really is the case and that it's not supported.

Can anyone comment?  Was it supported at one point but support was removed?  If
so, I'm curious as to why.  Is there a version of libpcap that would support
this?  Are there plans to support this again in the future?

Or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Chris

-