tcpdump mailing list archives

capturing packets

From: Madhusudan KR <madhusudan.kr () firstmedia in>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:59:41 +0530

Hi,

I have a system which has two ethernet interfaces, namely eth0 and eth1.
I need to capture the packets from both the interfaces.

I am planning to spawn two threads, one each for eth0 and eth1.
In these threads I shall be using the following two pcap calls.

pcap_open_live
pcap_next_ex

I shall run "pcap_next_ex" in a while loop, so that it keeps on capturing
the packets.

I have the following questions.

1. Am I in the right direction? If not, please guide me the right approach
for this problem
2. I read from the man page for pcap, that "pcap_next_ex" is a blocking
call.
    Does this mean that, if one thread is busy with "pcap_next_ex", then the
other thread
    have to wait for it???
    In this case, will I not be missing the packets...

Regards,
Madhusudan
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.