tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Fix build on freebsd-sparc

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 19:31:58 -0700

On May 10, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Peter Volkov wrote:

In Gentoo linux (sparc arch too) we do not have such problem.

OK, so I've checked into the main and 1.1 branches a change that, for SPARCv9 (sparc64) on FreeBSD, uses -fPIC.
Regular FreeBSD appears to use -fPIC on SPARCv9 as well.  If anybody else needs it, they should report it or, even
better, add it and send us the changes.

At the same time Debian builds everything with -fPIC:

http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/libpcap/1.1.1-2/10_shared_lib.diff

...and they make changes there that we'll never accept (not all shared libraries end with .so, for instance), so they
can continue to make whatever changes they want.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.