tcpdump mailing list archives

Fw: Building 32 bit libpcap on 64 bit OS

From: Bryan W Budak <bwbudak () us ibm com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:49:17 -0600

Correction:

When building libpcap on 64 bit OS it is placed in the /usr/lib directory
rather than the /usr/lib64      This then causes the compile for a 32 bit
version of my application to fail since there is a 64 bit version in a 32
bit directory.
So, is there a way to build a 32 bit version of libpcap on 64 bit OS and
install in /usr/lib?

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan W. Budak
Websphere Front Office for Financial Markets
IBM/Austin, TX
Ph: (512) 286-5497
bwbudak () us ibm com
----- Forwarded by Bryan W Budak/Austin/IBM on 01/05/2010 04:46 PM -----

Bryan W Budak/Austin/IBM
01/05/2010 04:32 PM

tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org
cc

Subject
Building 32 bit libpcap on 64 bit OS

To Whom It May Concern,

Trying to determine if there is a way to compile the 32 bit version of
libpcap on 64 bit OS?   I have written a program that uses libpcap to
decode data captured with tcpdump..    The only problem is that I have to
build the different version of libpcap on the version of OS that I want to
run on, which fluctuates.   Would be nice if I could build my application
in 1 central spot and then copy the executable to the respective machines.

I have run into situation where only the libpcap for 64 bit is loaded in
/usr/lib64 and nothing is loaded in /usr/lib  (32 bit).   Hence, can only
build the 64 bit version of application on a 64 bit machine and of course
only a 32 bit version is created on a 32 bit machine.

Any suggestions?