tcpdump mailing list archives

Another project based on libpcap (was Re: New project based on libpcap)

From: Eloy Paris <peloy () chapus net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:34:08 -0400

Hi Michael,

On 03/29/2010 07:15 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Rob" == Rob Hasselbaum<rob () hasselbaum net>  writes:
     Rob>  Hi there. Just wanted to post a quick note about a new project
     Rob>  based on libpcap that was just released. It's a real-time
     Rob>  network traffic monitor for KDE Plasma called Socket Sentry in
     Rob>  the same spirit as tools like iftop and netstat. Would you mind
     Rob>  linking to it from your "Related Projects" page on tcpdump.org?
     Rob>  And thank you all for doing the work that makes tools like this
     Rob>  possible. The project home page is at
     Rob>  http://code.google.com/p/socket-sentry.

Done!

If I may throw my project into the hat as well (and apologies for piggybacking on the original message), I maintain Network Expect, a packet manipulation framework that uses libpcap. It also uses libwireshark for packet dissection and has an entry in the Wireshark wiki (in http://wiki.wireshark.org/Tools), which perhaps could be used as the basis for a tcpdump.org entry:

"Network Expect (http://www.netexpect.org) is a framework that allows to easily build tools that can interact with network traffic. Following a script, traffic can be injected into the network, and decisions can be taken, and acted upon, based on received network traffic. An interpreted language provides branching and high-level control structures to direct the interaction with the network. Network Expect uses libpcap for packet capture and libwireshark (from the Wireshark project) for packet dissection tasks. (GPL, BSD/Linux/OSX)"

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-
netexpect.org