tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: When will a packet filter be ignored/unused?

From: Eloy Paris <peloy () chapus net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:20:22 -0400

On 03/18/10 11:02, Jim Lloyd wrote:

See 'man pcap' and 'man pcap_create'. You don't need pcap_activate() if you
use pcap_open_live().

Ah, I see. I found this gem at the end of the pcap man page (for libpcap 1.0.0):

"pcap_create() and pcap_activate() were not available in versions of
libpcap prior to 1.0; if you are writing an application that must work on versions of libpcap prior to 1.0, either use pcap_open_live() to get a handle for a live capture or, if you want to be able to use the additional capabilities offered by using pcap_create() and pcap_activate(), use an autoconf(1) script or some other configuration script to check whether the libpcap 1.0 APIs are available and use them only if they are."

Guess that's what happens when you read the documentation once and never go back to it after new library versions are released.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-
netexpect.org
-