tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: make releasetar on libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:49:50 -0800

On Mar 5, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Does anyone see a problem if I move bpf_filter.c from CSRC
to GENSRC in the libpcap Makefile?

The Makefile has a rule to "generate" it, so I'd see that as OK.  (It also means that "make clean" would remove the
symlink, which is arguably the right thing for it to do.)

The other way is to make releasetar: depend upon bpf_filter.c,
so that the symlink is shipped, but I think we shouldn't ship the
symlink.

Or we could just get rid of the bpf/net directory entirely, and move bpf_filter.c to the top-level directory; we
already have bpf_dump.c and bpf_image.c there.  I assume part of the rationale there was to put the stuff that could go
into an OS kernel into a subdirectory, but we've already moved most of the files out of there, and the developers of
the OSes that don't already have a BPF interpreter can probably figure out what pieces they need and put them into the
source tree appropriately.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.