tcpdump mailing list archives

Libpcap and 32 bits binary compatibility with Linux x86_64

From: Jean-Louis Charton <jean-louis.charton () oikialog com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 11:09:52 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

Is there any known issue running a 32 bits binary program that uses libpcap on a
x86_64 Linux system ?

I ask this question because it does not seem to work for me.

The timestamps I've got from the pcap header are wrong and the buffer containing
the captured bytes don't include the 14 bytes ethernet header (dst ether, src
ether, ether type) and even worse, the 12 first bytes of the IP header are also
missing : the capture buffer seems to start with the srcip and dstip fields of
the IP header !

The same program works perfecly well on a 32 bits Linux system.

Any idea ?

Best regards.

Jean-Louis

-