tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap: patches required for OpenSolaris/SXCE

From: Darren Reed <Darren.Reed () Sun COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:43:19 -0800

Guy Harris wrote:

On Nov 25, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

Can I plug a Cisco cable modem head-end device into an IPNET device and have it put DOCSIS frames inside IPNET layer-1 framing, so that you get packets with *no* IPNET header? I suspect the answer is "no", in which case you should not set is_ethernet for DLT_IPNET.

OK, that was a bit confusing - the check was only being done for devices that offered DLT_EN10MB as their primary DLT. The check should stay in - but only be done if DLT_IPNET is defined, otherwise it won't compile (pcap-bpf.c includes the native OS's net/bpf.h, not pcap's pcap/bpf.h, so it's not guaranteed to be defined. I've added an #ifdef for that (and a comment explaining why we're treating DLT_IPNET specially).

DLT_IPNET can be the only device type reported (for local zones with no
network interfaces assigned to them exclusively) or it can be a supplement
to whichever physical medium is present (e.g. ethernet.) In normal operation, the physical layer will be ethernet and the link layer header is lost by the time
it reaches ipnet for packet capture.

Darren

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.