tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How does packet capture interact with firewalls?

From: Robert Burgess <burgess () systems cs cornell edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:38:06 -0400

It sounds like you are capturing and injecting on the same interface
(otherwise you wouldn't get that infinite loop). Is that really what
you need to do?

I guess I'm not sure.  What I want is a chain of these things so that
each one waits for the previous to pass on the packet, and I don't want
to tie myself down to the topology.  On a switched ether, for instance,
I could see each system having only the ethernet interface and a loopback
interface, so if it receives a packet off the network, its only choices
would be to deliver it locally, or have some way of reinjecting back
onto the ethernet.

Robert.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.