tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Capturing packets content using libpcap

From: Shameem Ahamed <shameem.ahamed () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:21:10 +0530

Yes, you can do it.

Remove all the headers, ethernet, network and tcp headers, and then take the payload.  Payload contains all the
remaining data.

Regards,
Shameem

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:45:43 +0700
From: dachuy () gmail com
To: tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org
Subject: [tcpdump-workers] Capturing packets content using libpcap

Hi everybody,
Currently I'm using libpcap to develop a sniffing tool. I've read some
tutorials and I can get the packet header, is it possible to capture the
plain-text content using libpcap also ? ( like http request content ... )
I've tried to search on Google, looked at the documentation of tcpdump
and wireshark but found nothing.

One thing I found from google is that libpcap only captures 2% packets
of network, i'm wondering how can wireshark and tcpdump capture
everything while they're still using lipbcap.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.