tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Should the default snapshot length in tcpdump be 65535?

From: Arien Vijn <arien.vijn () ams-ix net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:52:50 +0100

On 5 Mar. 2009, at 10:20 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

Would it make sense to have tcpdump default to the maximum snapshot length, rather than 68 (without IPv6 support) or 96 (with IPv6 support)?

I've checked in a change to make the default snapshot length 65535.

Suddenly* changing this default may couse some inconveniences for those who use tcpdump in scripts to archive and/or process headers only. People may not expect a full packtet from tcpdump after all these years. Short snap lengths may be wanted because of legal reasons or because the payload is just not interesting.

Therefore it would be a good idea to make this an option during compile time. The default should be what it always was until at least the next major version (5.0.0).

Just my thoughts for what they are worth without code :)

-- Arien

* from an enduser perspective.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.