tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump-workers]tcpdum lose packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:50:40 -0800

On Jan 12, 2009, at 11:09 PM, liu.yongfeng () zte com cn wrote:

I use tcpdump to capture the packets of one RTP stream  in my rtsp
server,

So you're running tcpdump on the server, trying to capture the traffic on that RTP stream?

If that's true, what filter are you using when you're capturing? Or are you trying to capture *all* the traffic to and from the server?

by the RTP sequence number,i found some packets had lost.
but in the client that conneted to this server in the same time ,use
tcpdump capture the packets of this RTP stream,

So, in that case, you're running TCP on the client, trying to capture the traffic on the same stream?

If that's true, what filter are you using when you're capturing? Or are you trying to capture *all* the traffic to and from the client?

i do not found lost packet.i don't konw why?

If you're not using a filter when you're capturing, the problem could be that your server has more traffic going to and from it than your client does, so if you're capturing *all* the traffic to or from the server, that requires more kernel buffer memory, more CPU, and more disk bandwidth than if you're capturing all the traffic to or from the client.

Unfortunately, RTP doesn't use fixed port numbers, so it's hard to set up a filter to capture all the traffic on an RTP stream.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.