tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump 4.0.0rc3 and libpcap 1.0.0rc3 now available

From: Ken Bantoft <ken () netfunctional ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:49:43 -0400

I'll put those in shortly.. Still need mcr to sign them.

On 27-Oct-08, at 19:56, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Oct 23, 2008, at 11:34 AM, Ken Bantoft wrote:

I uploaded Release Candidate 3 to http://www.tcpdump.org/beta this afternoon - only changes since rc2 are Guy's revised man pages for libpcap - nothing changed in tcpdump (other than the version#).

If there continues to be no complains, I'll issue Tcpdump 4.0.0 and 1.0.0 finals on Monday.

There are 1.0.0 and 4.0.0 tarballs, but in the /beta directory. Is that rc3 or the final release? The VERSION files don't say "rc3".

I've checked into the libpcap 1.0 branch some changes since those tarballs were made:

1) getting the VERSION file from $(srcdir) when constructing shared library version numbers;

2) filtering characters other than digits and "." out of the contents of VERSION when making an OS X current_version string;

   3) fixing the man page section numbers for some OSes;

4) pcap-linktype man page changes to distinguish between DLT_ values and the values in libpcap file headers (there are a few cases where, for compatibility with various BSDs, the DLT_ values are different from the value in the file header);

5) a pcap-savefile man page change to refer to the pcap-linktype page (that's one reason for the previous change);

and I've checked into the tcpdump 4.0 branch a change since those tarballs were made:

generating tcpdump.1 from the configure script, so that references to pcap-filter refer to it with the appropriate section number (along with configure-script changes taken from the libpcap configure script to choose the section numbers).

If those aren't in 1.0.0/4.0.0, that's not fatal.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.