tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for DECT LINKTYPE

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:49:41 -0800

On Dec 22, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Matthias Wenzel wrote:

I just had a look, and thanks for pointing me there. But that seems very device independant. To me it seems its a generic way to record URBs on a
USB bus in pcap, but correct me if I am wrong.

I think he meant to look at it as an example of how to add support for capturing on non-network-interface devices in libpcap. There are other examples, such as Bluetooth, Endace DAG cards, and Intel SS7 cards on Linux, and Endace DAG cards on FreeBSD. The DAG and SS7 card handlers might be better examples in your case.

In contrast we have a very specific device, and there's no such thing as
a cordless or DECT layer within linux (yet). If there was we'd
appreciate to interface and record there...
But as of now there's a char device for a special HW, with ioctls and I doubt anyone believes in transporting that very specifig thingie in pcap...

I do. You'd have pcap_create() for your platform look for a device string that referred to your device, and call a separate _create routine for your device; that routine would set up the activate routine for your device, and that activate routine would open the character device, set it up for capturing, and set up the other routines for your device, such as the _read routine to read packets from it.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.