tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: MIME type for libpcap-format capture files

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:02:48 +0000

On 2008-12-12 16:01, Phil Vandry wrote:
I agree with Guy, the version is not necesary. At most I could imagine
a version parameter ("Content-Type: application/pcap-capture; version=1")
but even that is not necesary: the version will surely be unambiguously
distinguishable by examining the beginning of the file (magic number).

I still think current and "ng" pcap formats should be distinguished in MIME type name. The ng format carries a lot more metadata, and handling of it by applications is potentially quite different from handling of current pcap files. We're talking about something like the difference between a PCM audio file and AIFF. Applications might be interested specifically in metadata rather than packets, and should be able to indicate this preference in an Accept header.

I also think "ng" is fine for talking about the new format now, but someday, when we have been using ng for some time, we may well be looking at yet another version. Using "ng" as a notation doesn't help us then. Numbered, or at least absolutely named, versions indicate forethought.

But, you know, whatever. I'll be moderately surprised if ng ever comes to fruition, frankly.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>