tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_findalldevs_ex() and libpcap

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni () cacetech com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:01:51 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Abdelrazak Younes" <younes () lyx org>
To: <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 7:05 AM
Subject: [tcpdump-workers] pcap_findalldevs_ex() and libpcap

Hello there,

I am slowly learning libcap which I find quite useful, thanks a lot to the authors.

I have this piece of code from a Winpcap using program that uses pcap_findalldevs_ex(). WinPcap documentation says that pcap_findalldevs() is obsolete and one should use pcap_findalldevs_ex() instead:

http://www.winpcap.org/docs/docs_41b4/html/group__wpcapfunc.html#g7b128eaeef627b408f6a6e2a2f5eb45d

Problem is that libpcap-1.0.0 doesn't have this function, what's the catch?

That function is WinPcap-specific (i.e. it's not available in the vanilla libpcap for the other OSes). I think the example from WinPcap that you are using is from the folder wpdpack\Examples-remote that contains samples using WinPcap-specific functions. Usually there's always a corresponding sample in wpdpack\Examples-pcap using functions available in libpcap as well.

Regarding pcap_findalldevs being obsolete, it's an error in the documentation. I've already updated the documentation on our repository, but it's been out in any public release of WinPcap.

Have a nice day
GV

Thanks in advance for any hint.
Abdel.