tcpdump mailing list archives

error executing ksniff with libpcap 1.0.0

From: Giovanni Venturi <giovanni () ksniffer org>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:09:35 +0100

Hello,
I'm the author of ksniffer a GUI interface under KDE 3 to capture network
packet.
Till libpcap < 1.0.0 (the last stable you released) all was ok in the packet
capture, but now I get the following error message:

can't create rx ring on packet socket 4: 92-Protocol not available

What does it mean?
The code is here:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/network/ksniffer/ksniff/ksniff.cpp?revision=870437&view=markup

the method is:

void startSniffing(ParseConfig *config)

where am I wrong?

I read that:
«To open a handle for a live capture, call pcap_create(), set the appropriate
options on the handle, and then activate it with pcap_activate(). To open a
handle for a ``savefile'' with captured packets, call pcap_open_offline().
Both pcap_create() and pcap_open_offline() return a pointer to a pcap_t,
which is the handle used for reading packets from the capture stream or the
``savefile'', and for finding out information about the capture stream or
``savefile''. »

This means I don't need "pcap_open_live" anymore?
Please help me,
Giovanni

--
A KDE Italian translator and KSniffer core developer
Slackware GNU/Linux current version - kernel 2.6.27.4