tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Printing of TCP flags seems incorrect

From: grarpamp <grarpamp () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 01:33:02 -0400

once a connection is established, there should not be any packets
with no flags set ... not sure when you'd ever see a TCP segment
with no flags set

"Packets Found on an Internet" :) The net's full of physical packets
that make no logical sense to the viewer. Still have to print them
correctly anyways.

it's a "none" argument passed to bittok2str_nosep() plus the
 bittok2str_internal()
  /* bummer - lets print the "unknown" message as advised in the fmt

My guess is that back in the day before that octet had all its bits
defined 'unknown' was the correct word for bits not found in:
 struct tok tcp_flag_values[]
How 'none' crept in there as a word I don't know.

it does not appear to be excercised

Is the return at line 352 of util.c in the right place given how
that function is called by bittok2str_nosep() from print-tcp.c
regarding this?

If flags == 0, calling bittok2str_nosep() from print-tcp.c is excess
right? Why not if-else test and printf("Flags [none]") or short
circuit in bittok2str_internal() ?

Maybe I'm confused, I do that often :)

I assume by "naming" you are referring not only to the bits used
to print the flags in tcpdump but also the flag values used in
libpcap for filters.

Yes.

Perhaps a name using the "psh" abbreviation ... should be *one
of* the names allowed for that flag ... because people might
already have filters using "tcp-push".

It just seemed weird for things to not match up exactly between
rfc/code/man. Probably just an initial coding oversight or whatever.
Release notes and changelogs can help with addressing various legacy
things if desired. The patch is a proposed way to make it all
consistent. Of course feel free to use it in whole or part as deemed
fit :)

Thanks for the pointer on tcpreplay, I first found it in the
tcpdump.org cvs checkout. Turns out I have a use for it too. I meant
in its makefile, not tcpdump.org's makefiles :)

Need to find a packet generator and make myself a 'none' packet to
replay :)
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.