tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: does "port 25" work?

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen () endace com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:35:24 +1200

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 23:26 -0400, U. George wrote:

The filter "port domain" on an Ethernet interface (on my box) generates
a BPF filter that looks for Ethertype 0x86dd for IPv6 OR 0x0800 for
IPv4. It doesn't look for PPPoE, VLANs, GRE or anything else, because
you didn't specify that in your filter.

Actually I didnt specify 0x86dd or 0x0800 either. I did specify device
eth1 AND i did specify port domain. I dont care for ethertype filtering
as it is not germane.
If PPPoE has port settings, then PPPoE packets should be filtered also.
If VLANS, or GRE, or anything else has port designations, then that
should be included in the filtering.

I didn't say that you did; I told you what happens when you specify that
filter. That explains the behaviour that you saw, which is expected.

 From a users point of view, if tcpdump can print the packet with out
any ethertype options, then one should also be able to compare/match
pieces  of the data stream without the use of or knowledge of ethertype
specifics. The only item of significance ( for me ) is "port domain"
from the specific interface. From my point of view, ethertype is wild,
ip is wild, protocol is wild, and everything else is wild - with the
exception of the port designation.
Its just intuitive.

That may be true, but it isn't the way tcpdump works.

Perhaps you should try Wireshark, you may find its 'display filters'
more user friendly.

http://www.wireshark.org

Stephen.