tcpdump mailing list archives

about this mailing list

From: Michael Bernstein <mb_jobs () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:32:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone -

I've been a member of the mailing list, but haven't had a chance to read all the articles. My main question is based on
Libpcap and TCPdump, essential tools in network security analysis. My background in that I'm a CCIE Security,
experience with MSSP performing security analysis on manly leading IDS/IPS platforms.

I know that a big DDoS mitigation effort thru Verizon is based on TCPdump BPF filters. I think mainly all IPS/IDS are
based on TCPdump filters and translation into IDS rules.

What is it that this tcpdump-workers list aims at? What are you trying to achieve that TCPdump doesn't already address
in the program?

Thanks.
Michael

      -