tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: output help

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 00:29:41 -0700

stephen () stephengarrett net wrote:

I'm new to the tcpdump code and I'm looking for some direction as to
where the screen output takes place. I'm trying to capture that output
and send it via OpenSoundControl messages to the SuperCollider music
technology programming system.

"Capture" in what sense?

On UN*X, and probably on Windows with WinDump, you could pipe the output to another program. The only tricky part would be getting it not to buffer the output, so that stuff gets sent down the pipe when the packets arrive; you can do that with the "-l" flag.

The "other program" would parse the output of tcpdump and figure out what sounds to play.

If you can do that, you don't need to do anything to the tcpdump code.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.