tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: problem while examinate 802.11-packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:02:00 -0800

On Feb 15, 2008, at 4:52 AM, Christian Stalp wrote:

But the result is the same. Its still the first four fields of my MAC-address but the final two are still trash.

I.e., the first four octets of the source MAC address are valid and have the correct values (i.e., they match the MAC address of the machine receiving the packet), but the last two octets have the wrong value?

In your pcap_open_live() call, is the value of "promisc" 0 or 1? If it's 1, the capture will be done in promiscuous mode, which might mean that you'll receive packets with a unicast source address that doesn't match the address of your machine.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.