tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: supporting extend 'open live capture' parametes

From: "Paolo Abeni" <paolo.abeni () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:36:42 +0100

Guy Harris wrote:

Paolo Abeni wrote:

I thought that such things (pcap API to ask for supported parameters)
could be implemented adding dedicated fields into the pcap struct (on in
a pcap_t sub structure), which must be set by the platform specific
pcap_activate().

That would mean you couldn't ask for supported parameters until
pcap_activate() is called; however, an application such as Wireshark
would want to query whether monitor mode is available *before* activating.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but I think a similar situation
currently happens in the pcap_findalldevs() function, which ultimately
calls pcap_open_live()/pcap_close() for each discovered device. We can
implement the pcap_is_monitor_mode_available(char* device_name) API
[perhaps with a shorter name :-) ] in a similar fashion; something
like:

handle = pcap_create()
pcap_set_device(handle, device_name);
pcap_activate(handle);
ret = pcap_get_monitor_mode_availability(handle);
pcap_close(handle)
return ret;

This is quite time inefficient, but I think that this way the
implementation of the various pcap_get_property() api is very easy.
Moreover, I hope/think that they don't have any time constraint. What
do you think ?

cheers,

Paolo
-