tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_findalldevs doesn't return bluetooth interfaces

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:43:25 -0800

Barry Reinhold wrote:

I just want to confirm that installing the bluez-libs-devel-3.7-1.i386 rpm
(built on Fedora 6) worked on CentOS 5 and resolved the problem.

I should have caught the clue in config.log - that was an explicit message
that had the needed information, however, I appreciate the help.

That's the problem with warnings, rather than errors, from configure scripts - the scripts spew out so much output that we don't tend to read the output.

The problem with errors, however, is that you then have to explicitly say "no, I don't want that feature" with a "--without" or "--disable" configure option - and, in this case, it might be that most people don't care about capturing on Bluetooth, so that'd be really inconvenient.

The longer-term fix might be that various distributions will pick up libpcap 1.0 when it's released, and will either configure it with Bluetooth capture support in the release that picks it up or in a subsequent release when people file bugs about it.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.