tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for DLT_ number assignment

From: Alexey Neyman <avn () emcraft com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:48:28 -0800

Guy,

Is this request being processed/queued?

Best regards,
Alexey.

On 29 November 2007 Alexey Neyman wrote:
Guy,

On 29 November 2007 Guy Harris wrote:
The format of the capture is a 5-byte pseudo header followed by
the actual I2C data. The MS bit of 1st byte of pseudo-header
indicates whether the packet contains data or is an event
detected on the I2C controller. The remaining 7 bits contain the
minor number of the I2C device that generated the packet. The
next 4 bytes contain either message flags, or controller status
bits, as defined in <linux/i2c.h> and <linux/i2c-dev.h> headers.

So are those 4 bytes Linux-specific, or are they likely to be used
if a different OS were to support capturing on IPMB?  If they're
Linux-specific, DLT_I2C_LINUX might be a better name.

They bit values are not specific themselves (e.g. status bits
include "Controller lost attachment to bus", "Controller had
promiscuous mode set/cleared", etc) - most likely, these bits will be
available on different OS, too. However, the definitions of these
status bits match those in Linux.

DLT_I2C_LINUX is perfectly fine, too.

Best regards,
Alexey.