tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Endless pcap_stats + patch

From: Max Laier <max () love2party net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:09:01 +0100

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Guy Harris wrote:
Max Laier wrote:
this problem was reported by Giorgos Keramidas as a FreeBSD PR.

When dumpping from a file (-r) hitting ^T (sending SIGINFO) results
in an endless stream of "pcap_stats: Statistics aren't available from
savefiles".  The attached patch should fix this and other possible
error cases of pcap_stats.

Checked in - along with a change not to bother catching SIGINFO at all
if tcpdump is reading from a file rather than doing a live capture, so
you won't get any errors.

I'm not sure that's the best sollution.  For one, libpcap could choose to
implement pcap_stats for files later on.  Also I'd find it to be
surprising if I step up to a running tcpdump and ^T doesn't do anything -
I'd assume that something went wrong.  A short error message to stderr
seems to be the right sollution, at least in my mind.

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier () freebsd org