tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: ETHERMTU

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:05:46 -0700

Saikiran Madugula wrote:
I ran into this problem when I was trying to compile libpcap with a package which has support for a custom interface in Linux. I get a warning message about redefining ETHERMTU while compiling that package as the package uses net/ethernet.h.

Do you get a warning message *when gencode.c is compiled*?

If not, then there isn't a problem with gencode.c.

if gencode.c (or any other code) is indeed intended for use across several operating systems then it should be careful not pollute name space of the platforms it intends to be used on.

gencode.c isn't polluting the name space. Source files don't pollute the name space - header files, such as ethernet.h, do. It's impossible to avoid using names that *might* be defined by *some* header file on a system - even if you manage to avoid every name defined by the header files in one release of a system, the next release might add a new symbol.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.