tcpdump mailing list archives

Reading Memory as a Device

From: "Varuna De Silva" <varunax () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:19:45 +0530

Hi,

We as a project try to build an SS7 analyzer which will port data through
the USB bus.
For this purpose, We have used an USB IC from FTDI which do this job with
their custom
driver. What the driver does is, it will write the data in to the memory.

Now we want to read this raw data and convert it to pcap format after
removing the
frame delimiters. How should we start about modifying libpcap if we are to
read the
memory from where data has been stored. Can we read data as an when it is
stored in
the buffer by this driver which the manufacturer supplies.

The Tutorial by Carston and Harris deals with network interface cards and we
have
no network cards in our way, and only this set of data in the memory.

Can we treat this set of data stored as a linux Char Device and read it with
a simple
char device driver?

Rgds

Varuna Xavier