tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT_LAPB value assignment

From: "Fulko Hew" <fulko.hew () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:46:17 -0400

On 8/17/07, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

Mirko.Karanovic () ttc ca wrote:

Here is possible solution to resolve DCE/DTE origin of a LAPB packet.

Wireshark libpcap.h has the  struct pcaprec_ss990915_hdr, which has
ifindex field ( the interface on which packet came in ). During
capturing phase FROM_DCE or FROM_DTE will be stored into ifindex field
of the struct pcaprec_ss990915_hdr. Knowing interface index I know
origin, DCE or DTE.

No, please, don't use the non-standard versions of libpcap format - and
especially don't override a completely different field.  Just put an
extra byte at the beginning of the packet data.

Mirko, I emailed you off list to discuss merging our two requirements since
they seemed to overlap.

This is exactly (one of) the purpose(s) of the DLT I asked for, and I _do_
have extra bytes at the front for this purpose and also to convey serial
link status information,  perhaps you can re-use my DLT for your capture.

Because of the tcpdump mailserver problem a while ago I haven't re-submitted
my patches yet.  I'm on vacation this week (for another 20 minutes
technically), so I expect to do it on Monday, but we can discuss this next
week.

Fulko
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.