tcpdump mailing list archives

does tcpdump catch all packets in the air?

From: Łukasz Strzałkowski <lukasz.strzalkowski () pjwstk edu pl>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:59:48 +0200

hello,
I can ask for a stupid question, but I'm a rookie with this stuff and just need help.

I have kismet drone with OpenWRT installed at WRT54GL with wireless interface in RF monitor mode. With kismet on my laptop I can see the my other Access Point with increasing packets counter and few other networks. I have also turned on a tcpdump to collect packets in the air to file to check if tcpdump will catch the same of packets as kismet.

well, it does not.

Tcpdump collects much less packets then kismet and all of them are from my laptop and my Access Point. Please someone explain me why it is so if tcpdump reads the same wireless interface in this router as kismet drone? Tcpdump does not even collect packets when I search the air with Network Stumbler.
However, the Kismet can see also three other wireless secured networks.
None packets of users connected to that APs I have found has been detected by tcpdump. As I mentioned before it collects only data from my access point and my laptop. Nothing more. Maybe tcpdump works only for certain network mask or something?

cheers,
Lukasz.

--
POLSKO-JAPOŃSKA WYŻSZA SZKOŁA TECHNIK KOMPUTEROWYCH
POLISH JAPANESE INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.