tcpdump mailing list archives

[Q] random loss on capture

From: "rh" <rh.forums () verizon net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:50:59 -0500

Relative newbie, with a theoretical question I would like to understand the answer to.

Given: More than one pcaplib app running on a host, and the interface in promiscuous mode.

What factors (incoming packet rate, NIC or TCP buffer overflow, etc.) would create a condition where the pcaplib apps would see different incoming packet streams -- i.e., there would be random loss between them) ?

I imagine this is a pretty basic question, and am happy to RTFM if I can just learn what the right references / sources are.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.