tcpdump mailing list archives

SNMP dump

From: Jan Allman <ian_yeovil () yahoo co uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:59:35 +0000 (GMT)

I'm using Ethereal and am confused about the SNMP dump. The field sizes don't match the specification (RFC 1157).
E.g.
The 'Version' field should be 4 bytes but its dump is 3 bytes: 02 01 00
The 'PDU Type' field should 4 bytes but its dump is 2 bytes: a4 1c

However, Ethereal reports the correct values.
Version: 1 (0)
PDU type: TRAP-V1 (4)

I'm assuming that tcpdump is capturing the packets correctly from the wire.

Where should I look for how SNMP is encoded for transmission and decoded for display in Ethereal?

Many Thanks,

Ian