tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap files with file header snaplen < packet

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:35:01 +0000

On 2006-12-04 15:03, Harley Stenzel wrote:
On 12/1/06, Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov> wrote:
Is it possible they were the result of combining multiple pcaps via
something like mergecap?

It would seem that for something like this to be generally usefull, a
capture station identifier would be needed.  I suppose a source-file
identifier could also do the trick.

Not sure I follow your response. It's not a proposal--mergecap exists as
part of wireshark ne ethereal. There are other tools for doing this as
well. Yes, something is lost, but something is gained. I use tools of
this ilk to merge together multiple capture files that were collected on
multiple identical, synchronized hosts that receive load-balanced
monitor traffic.

I was merely suggesting that perhaps one of the several tools available
for this purpose doesn't properly set snaplen on its output file to the
max of all input snaplens.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>