tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: introduction of a new protocol

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:44:36 -0800

Maria Cruz wrote:
Guy Harris <guy <at> alum.mit.edu> writes:

At what layer of Figure 1 in "1.4 Reference model" of IEEE Std 802.16-2004 will you be intercepting packets?
The 'MAC Common Part Sublayer' probably, right after the 'Security Sublayer'.

I.e., you'll be capturing at the line between "MAC Common Part Sublayer" and "Security Sublayer" (where there's no SAP, but that doesn't mean you can't capture there), and the packet data in the capture will have each packet start with a "Generic MAC header" as per figure 18?

I would like at the PHY SAP.

I.e., you'd also like to be able to intercept packets above the PHY layer and below the Security Sublayer?

Given all that, I'd be inclined to call the DLT_ value for capturing at the MAC Common Part Sublayer be DLT_IEEE802_16_MAC_CPS, to indicate at what layer the capture is done.

Does that make sense?
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.