tcpdump mailing list archives

Need Help for My DIY Passive WiFi Sniffer Please

From: "Jin YunYe" <yunyejin () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 05:25:15 +0800

Hi

I am doing a project in which I need to use a passive wireless sniffer to
capture IEEE802.11 packets and retrieve the MAC address of the
sender/receiver.

To be lazy, originally I planed to use Kismet on my station, however, the
station is with a small flash memory of 8MB only.

So Kismet is too large for me and actually I only need its very basic
functionality which is determine all the MAC addresses of the clients in the
each network.

So I am planning to write a DIY passive sniffer to do this.

I do not know how to start. I am new to these wireless stuff.

I know a bit of PCAP tools in sniffing wired network.

Could someone give some suggestion or if possible share some of your
experience please?

Thanks

YY
-