tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: getting ethernet address for interface libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:14:50 -0700

Aaron Turner wrote:
Sorry if this is a little offtopic, but I'm in the process of ripping
out libnet from my code and replacing it with libpcap since it can now
inject frames.  One thing I'm stuck on though is  trying to figure out
a reliable, cross platform way to determine the MAC address of the
interface that a libpcap handle is bound to.

There isn't one.

At some point, I want to add to libpcap APIs that can, among other things, provide information such as MAC addresses, if available, and provide implementations for various platforms.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.