tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: What must be the linktype set to in Pcap if the the packets are to be captured from the unix socket

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:58:03 -0700

On Apr 24, 2006, at 10:44 PM, santosh.soule () wipro com wrote:

So I want to add support for unix socket to Pcap library. As pcap uses
DLT_xxx for identifying the type of interface and Linux uses the ARP
hardware type.
In case of unix socket what value should be given, is there any value
already defined.

No, there isn't.

Given that this will be some special protocol of your own running on the UNIX-domain sockets, I would suggest that you use one of the user- defined DLT_ values (DLT_USER0 through DLT_USER15), and make your own private modifications to tcpdump, or whatever program you're using to read those files, to handle that DLT_ value. Those DLT_ values are reserved for private use; they will never be used for any official purpose in libpcap or tcpdump.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.