tcpdump mailing list archives

tcpdump -r option

From: "Latha G" <lathajee () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:41:57 -0800

Hi all,

Thanks for your support till now.
I want to clarify few things about the tcpdump -r option
I just used tcpdump -w dump.pcap
The -r option is used just to read back what we stored using -w option or
can we use the dump.pcap file as network and we can apply all options &
filters
  i mean like tcpdump -n -c 1 -r dump.pcap (or)  tcpdump -A -r dump.pcap
can i apply any filter expression and options on this file...
is it ok...
since i didn't use any option or filter while capturing it through -w
option..
is the output what i get from tcpdump -n -c 1 -r dump.pcap looks same as
tcpdump -n -c 1 or any difference is there?
Means what i want to clarify is , Is the behaviour of tcpdump when applied
with -r option is same as when it applied on the network directly..

And one more is, the captured file dump.pcap can i take to any other system
and then apply tcpdump , and can i expect the output  should be same as that
of on my system....

Thanks in advance..

--
Regards,