tcpdump mailing list archives

System header structs vs custom struct

From: "SPYRIDON PAPADOPOULOS" <SP373 () student apu ac uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 02:37:13 +0000

Hi,

i am creating a packet capture tool on a FreeBSD 5.4 - RELEASE for my dissertation using pcap. I am using the system
headers in /usr/include/net/ and /usr/include/netinet/ directories to start decoding EN10MB, ip, tcp, udp, icmp etc
packets.
I am not working too long on it am i am not an experienced C programmer.
However i lately tried to test the thing on slackware (the OS my project supervisor preferes) and i had many errors
mostly about values in system header structures. I was thinking since the beginning that it doesn't worth it to copy
more or less the structs from tcpdump to describe protocol headers since i have them already, so i kept staying with
the system's headers.
Now i am realising that maybe this is a very good reason for changing to custom structures.
Any advice

Thank you in advance

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.