tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump printout (machine readable vs. human

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:47:01 -0800

Jason Duan wrote:

When I ran "tcpdump -r tcpdump.log", the output is more or less "human readable" but it is not so good for machine reading (for example extracting packet size etc). I am not sure if I am missing something in the command line or tcpdump does not print in machine readable format. (For example, the route_btoa for BGP updates could
print both formats.)

Tcpdump doesn't print in any format designed specifically to be read by software rather than by people.

Tethereal:

        http://www.ethereal.com/

(the ".com" nonwithstanding, it's GPL'ed free software) can read libpcap-format captures (libpcap format is the native format of both tcpdump and Ethereal/Tethereal), and can write out files in PDML format:

        http://analyzer.polito.it/30alpha/docs/dissectors/PDMLSpec.htm

which might, in some ways, be more "machine-readable", in the sense that it's structured to be read by software rather than by people (although it's XML-based, so it requires some amount of machinery to read).
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.