tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: dealing with collisions, dropped packets

From: "Matt Van Mater" <nutter_ () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:32:11 -0500

sorry for the late replies, and thanks for the comments.

I sense some fundamental misunderstandings here. Basically:

A collision on half duplex media (such as a hub) is a *normal* and
*expected* occurence, and does *not* cause a packet to be dropped.

Note that this does not apply to "late collisions" which are quite
different - late collisions are signs of *error* (for instance a
duplex mismatch).

Sorry I did not make myself clear. I know very well that collisions on hubs are normal. What I wasn't sure of was if tcpdump was seeing the first transmission of a packet, and then dropping the second copy of the packet when it is recent by the originating host so as not to skew statistics or something.

And I have checked, this is not a duplex mismatch, the switch sending the hub packets is set to autosense and has correctly set the outgoing switch port to half duplex (send only).

1000 collisions per minute with 4000-5000 pps is a very *low* collision
rate.

I know, thats what I thought, but i wanted to mention that because I thought perhaps the collisions were the source of my dropped packets since the numbers are usually fairly close. (ie if i count dropped packets vs retransmits due to collision on the switch they are pretty close)

I expect your dropped packets are due to something else. But you should
definitely check for late collisions.

i've tried the autosensing\duplex\half duplex and replaced cables and get the same behavior in all these scenarios. I know the machine can handle it, it's definitely not a hardware limitation. It is a ns2100 from sourcefire and has all the goodies, intel gig ethernet, lots of cpu ram and scsi hd's...

I'm going to try running the bulk of the traffic directly from the switch SPAN port to the ids rather than through the hub to see if i still have the same packet drop rate.

Matt

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.