tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: using a database to store packets

From: Daniel Lawson <daniel () wand net nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:14:50 +1300

option 2:

You want to filter out specific traffic before storing a capture to disk.

option 2 is closer to what I want, but it's not what I want.
I want to remove specific traffic WHILE storing a capture to disk.

Ok, that makes more sense then. I also guess you don't know ahead of time what traffic you wish to exclude?

ie, you wish to dynamically, as the capture is running, specify filters that will limit which traffic is being written to disk?

If you do know ahead of time some rules that you will apply to the traffic to determine what you are going to keep or discard, it's fairly trivial to write a program that uses libpcap directly, and set up your own BPF filters within it.

--
Daniel Lawson
WAND Group, Computer Science Department

-