tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump -E doesn't work for 3des-cbc/hmac-md5

From: Michael Mueller <m.mueller99 () kay-mueller de>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:06:16 +0200

Michael,

Are you sure you tested 3des-cbc with hmac-md5 or with some other authentication algorithm? I don't doubt that for some other authentication algorithms where authlen is set correctly your code works fine.

For *-cbc algorithms the problem seems to be that decryption starts at the end of the encrypted area and works its way backwards to the start. If authlen is wrong everything is decrypted into garbage. This is because the encrypted blocks are chained and a block can only be decrypted if the previous block (the one behind) was decrypted sucessfully.

Michael

Michael Richardson wrote:
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.